Thursday, August 30, 2012

Flawless Face Without The Makeup




My best friend was telling me about her difficulty with finding makeup that really covers her dark circles and blemishes without caking it on. As someone who prefers natural ways of obtaining a flawless complexion, I urged her to change some of her daily habits to reduce the amount of dark circles and blemishes naturally. If you get rid of what you are trying to cover up, you can save yourself time and money by not having to buy the makeup to conceal it.

Sleep More
            Ever heard that your skin regenerates and heals better at night while you are resting? If you are lacking those 7-9 hours of sleep, you aren’t giving your skin sufficient time to heal and regenerate.

Drink Plenty of Fluids
            By fluids, I don’t mean amp up your coffee or sugary drink intake. Now I’m not saying coffee or a little bit of sugar is bad for you. There are actually studies that show a little bit of coffee and sugar does wonders for your outlook and productivity. However, relying on these drinks for your source to quench your thirst is not good. Drinking at least 60 ounces of water a day is ideal! To begin, try to replace one serving of coffee with a tall glass of water and work your way up from there.
            I used to never drink water. To help remedy that problem, I bought one of those Starbucks 20oz straw water bottles and refill that at least 3-4 times during the day! When I’m sitting at my desk working away, I find that rather than munching on food or drinking soda, I’m constantly reaching for my water bottle and find that I often empty it within an hour or two. I’ve also substituted green tea, which is full of antioxidants, for my morning coffee and find that I drink 2-3 mugs of tea a day. Water water water!

Eating Your Fruits and Veggies
            The nutritional value within fruits and veggies helps keep skin healthy and vibrant. Antioxidant rich foods such as berries help repair skin and strengthen blood vessels.  Vitamin C rich fruit such as oranges and kiwis help keep the skin firm and improves the overall quality of your skin. Vegetables like carrots help in the formation of collagen cells and cell regeneration. Spinach also helps repair cell damage and assists in delivering vital nutrients to your skin.

Skin Regiment Tailored To Your Skin Type
            Make sure to use a skin regiment that is appropriate to your skin type: oily, normal, combination or day. Make sure that you have a non-abrasive daily cleanser that helps remove the daily dirty that clogs our pores. Make sure that you have a moisturizer, again one that is appropriate for your skin type, and apply day and night, preferably something organic so we aren’t having our skin absorb harsh and man made chemicals.
            Special additions to your skin regiment include using an exfoliation type treatment. I absolutely love my Clarisonic Mia 2. I use this every three days to help me get a good deep clean and exfoliation to my skin. There are also other forms of exfoliation that will help gently remove dead skin cells from the surface, revealing the glowing skin underneath. Make sure to not overdo it on the exfoliation as this can lead to irritation, once or twice a week should be the max.

We already know the theme of my beauty articles: loving the skin you’re in. Oh wait was that an Olay reference? Yes, yes it was. We shouldn’t need a full face of makeup to feel pretty. If anything, makeup should only enhance what we have, not create a new face.

No comments:

Post a Comment